David is my little handicapped brother who likes to run away from his group home. Well, Little Devon on Thursday night was playing in my parents basement and we were all upstairs in the kitchen talking. Time goes by and Fabricio thought to check on Devon downstairs. Fabricio yells that Devon is gone! I thought it to be impossible. so we all checked the whole house and sure enough Devon was gone. We, my Dad, Fabricio and I ran to the park that is 2 houses away from my parents house to look for him. He was no where. You could imagine my feelings, although, I must admit that I think Heavenly Father purposely made mothers' feelings numb so that they can stay focus and calm. We did a triangle search for him. I went in the exact opposite direction of where Devon was. I was running in flip flops every where, Thankfully, I hitched a ride from one of the neighbors in my parents' ward and she drove me home just as Fabricio was backing out of the driveway. I said to the women, This must mean they still have not found him. As I got out of the car, Fabricio said we found him! That is when all my emotions let down and I was bawling. I kept saying is he really here? Is he safe? Is he ok? So he is here for sure?! We did not get mad at him because he does not understand.
Thankfully, the man that found him is in my parent's ward and he took Devon back to his house and was about to call the police. The man said that Devon never cried and all Devon talked about were horses and Basketballs. Fabricio was the one that found him. Fabricio was yelling Devon's name when a neighbor said are you looking for a little curly haired boy? He is at that man's house. When Fabricio knocked at the man's door, that is when Devon started to cry, but we think it was a cry of "Oh no, I'm in trouble." I am very gratefully that Devon was safe and that we found him!!!
I asked my all knowing, wise and faithful father, "Why did the spirit not tell me to check on Devon? It never even crossed my mind to check on him and why did the spirit not lead me to Devon? I never felt the spirit, well I did meaning, while Devon was missing, I felt a sense of calm and peace and that Devon was ok. But I never felt a prompting or anything. Does this mean I am not in tuned or that I am a horrible parent?" And my Father whom I look up to with the highest respect replied, "We are all victims of the fall. It is inevitable that we are all going to die no matter how righteous we are. We are here to experience fear, disappointment, pain,and happiness and if we were to be led by the spirit before everything happens then we would not be fulling God's plan for us to experience all our trials here on this earth. President Hinkely was saving his money for his mission and he put all his savings in a bank, well that Bank folded and he lost all his money. Does that mean President Hinkely was not righteous? No.Things happen; and it does not necessarily mean there are reasons behind them because agency plays a big role in a lot of things that happen in our lives." After that conversation with my Dad, I felt a whole lot better and I also now understand a little bit better how our Heavenly Father's plan works.
Monday, June 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh man, that is so scary. I can only imagine the panic you must have felt. How on earth did he get out of the basement? I'm glad he was found safe and sound. Looks like David's skills may being passed down. :)
Oh honey, I feel your pain. I've experienced the same thing a few times and each time you think, "How did I let that happen?" You know what, kids are kids and they don't think too much! You can only watch them so much and you certainly can't stop all bad things from happening to them, even though you think you should be able to. So happy to hear that all is well! You might need to invest in some better locks, you may have an escape artist on your hands...
How scary! There is nothing that compares to the panic you feel when you can't find a child. I am glad that it all ended up o.k.
Post a Comment